Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Brace of Pistols

Go down 
+9
Mephysto
Pervavita
Kalle
Von Kurst
Captain Bernhardt
Darren
namfoodle
Chad
Lord Xi
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord Xi
General
General
Lord Xi

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeTue 30 Dec 2008 - 19:17

Does a brace of pistols count as two- one handed weapons?
Back to top Go down
http://grimdarkvoid.blogspot.com/
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeTue 30 Dec 2008 - 19:31

It takes both hands to use a brace of pistols in CC.
Back to top Go down
Lord Xi
General
General
Lord Xi

Personal Info

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeTue 30 Dec 2008 - 20:25

Thought so. I have the Empire hero box set pistol, which is double barreled, that I am going to use as a brace of pistols. I wanted to make sure it was two weapons for a brace before I spent modelling energy converting something else.
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeTue 30 Dec 2008 - 23:39

We have a house rule were you can have a brace of pistols but on;y fire one (thus holding a sword or something in the other hand) but it allows you to fire in the first two turns of CC. Better hang on to that double-barreled one in case you ever want to make some Ostlanders! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
namfoodle
Youngblood
Youngblood
namfoodle

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeMon 5 Jan 2009 - 4:46

So say you have a brace of pistols, in the first round of close combat you fire them both, what are you armed with in the second round of combat? Can you still attack?
Back to top Go down
Lord Xi
General
General
Lord Xi

Personal Info

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeMon 5 Jan 2009 - 5:44

Free dagger?
Back to top Go down
namfoodle
Youngblood
Youngblood
namfoodle

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeMon 5 Jan 2009 - 6:40

So if you have other combat weapons you can switch to them after you shoot your pistols?
Back to top Go down
Darren
Warrior
Warrior
Darren

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeMon 5 Jan 2009 - 8:50

If you have a fighter with two (a brace) of pistols), a sword and a dagger, I believe you can shoot both in the first round of combat and then switch to the sword and dagger for the second round. Either that, or use one pistol and a sword in each round.

I've used that double-barreled pistol from the Empire Captain box as a duelling pistol. It looks fancy enough to be different from a standard pistol.
Back to top Go down
http://howlinggriffon.blogspot.com/
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeWed 10 Oct 2012 - 9:53

Thought I'd add to this:

what is the general feel for this:
does a Brace of pistol counts as TWO missile weapons for sake of maximum allowed missile weapons or for just one (so you can take a second missile weapon as well)

this is the wording in the FAQ: "brace of pistols counts as two missile weapons (allthough some clubs play it that brace counts as one missile weapon only)."

basically the FAQ says something like chose yourself.

SO what is the broader consenus on this?
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeWed 10 Oct 2012 - 10:24

got another one:

I thought any model with a brace of pistols can shoot either two shots in one turn, then reload both the next turn, OR shoot once every turn. However I can't find that anywhere in the rules. So, am I mistaken here?
Back to top Go down
Kalle
Youngblood
Youngblood
Kalle

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeWed 10 Oct 2012 - 13:39

A model armed with a brace of pistols and without the pistoleer skill may only fire once every turn, a model with a brace of pistols and the pistoleer skill may fire both pistols in the same turn.

Regards
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeWed 10 Oct 2012 - 13:39

Quote :
what is the general feel for this:
does a Brace of pistol counts as TWO missile weapons for sake of maximum allowed missile weapons or for just one (so you can take a second missile weapon as well)

this is the wording in the FAQ: "brace of pistols counts as two missile weapons (allthough some clubs play it that brace counts as one missile weapon only)."

basically the FAQ says something like chose yourself.

SO what is the broader consenus on this?

I was quite surprised when I discovered this particular FAQ. The question of what a brace of pistols counts as is frequently asked but always answered as it counts as ONE missile weapon for the purposes of slots.

Quote :
I thought any model with a brace of pistols can shoot either two shots in one turn, then reload both the next turn, OR shoot once every turn. However I can't find that anywhere in the rules. So, am I mistaken here?

You may only reload one pistol per turn thus if you have a brace of pistols you may fire both then spend 2 turns reloading to fire both again OR you may fire one every turn and reload the other. The skill pistolier speeds up the loading process but only for one pistol per turn.
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeWed 10 Oct 2012 - 17:15

Always counted a brace as 1 missile weapon in our group. Never thought to count it as anything else as it's listed in the price charts in one line and thus is one item.

Back to top Go down
Mephysto
Veteran
Veteran
Mephysto

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeWed 10 Oct 2012 - 21:35

And the 'Weapons and Armour' paragraph on page 2 of the 'Warbands' section from the LRB clearly states:

Quote :
Each warrior you recruit can be armed with up to two close combat weapons (in addition to his free dagger), up to two different missile weapons and any armour chosen from the appropriate list. For these purposes, a brace of pistols counts as a single missile weapon.

More recent than the FAQ (if I am not mistaken), so it seems the Powers that Be have decided on a more unambigious stance on the matter. Wink
Back to top Go down
brokenv
Knight
Knight
brokenv

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeThu 11 Oct 2012 - 9:43

We tend to change pistols to "load or move" not "move or fire". This allows you to move and fire a pistol (as one would expect in battle), but then be forced to do nothing to load up another round (as one would expect in battle).

This small change fixed a lot of problems with pistols (we did not change rifles, crossbows, or blunderbi)

We also allowed players to switch pistols after the first round of CC.

This is because pistols suck, no one really uses them, and allowing them to do more didn't unbalance anything and let more people use them.

I still think a brace of pistols should count as both shooting weapons for item holding capacity, but I'm endlessly outvoted in this thought.
Back to top Go down
http://mordheimact.tabletopgeeks.com/
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeThu 11 Oct 2012 - 12:04

I like your 'move or load' idea and may have to steal it. I think I will try giving it to all blackpowder weapons and crossbows. Crossbows you can fire in the same turn you load, bp weapons you can't - not without the relevant skill, anyway.

Hey, that would mean you could change quickshot to work with handguns too - you would need a brace of them to do that though, and then you would need to reload them both. You would need two crossbows to use quickshot with it too.

Nimble could be changed to mean you have no penalty for moving and shooting. Either that or make it so that you *can* move and reload if you have nimble.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2012 - 18:21

brokenv wrote:
We tend to change pistols to "load or move" not "move or fire". This allows you to move and fire a pistol (as one would expect in battle), but then be forced to do nothing to load up another round (as one would expect in battle).

Since when do pistols have "move or fire"? They only have to reload.

Also, I was wondering what happens if you've got two braces of pistols. The pistolier skill states that you can fire both pistols in one turn and normal reloading rules apply... but what are they when it comes to pistols? Only one can be reloaded per turn, or will both be reloaded in one turn? So can I fire a brace each turn, or only the first two turns, and then I can either fire one pistol each turn or do I have to wait one round until two pistols are ready again?
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2012 - 18:53

As I understand the rules for Pistolier skill with two braces of pistols is this:
Round 1: Fire both pistols in Brace A (2 shots)
Round 2: Reload 1st pistol in Brace A and Fire Brace B (2 shots)
Round 3: Reload 2nd pistol in Brace A and Fire Brace A (2 shots)
Round 4+: Reload any pistol and Fire said Pistol (1 shot)

Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2012 - 21:28

Ah, yeah, that sounds right. Man, should I really play it like that, I think I need to make myself a little wheel for counting what's loaded and what not Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MeanBone
Champion
Champion
MeanBone

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitimeWed 12 Dec 2012 - 16:13

Trying to keep track of the various rules on "move or fire," "fire every other turn" etc. is such a headache. Just make some "R" counters for "Reloading" and stick one next to a guy who fires a pistol, gun or crossbow. If he doesn't move (and is not in combat) on his turn, take away the counter. Why do they make things more complicated than necessary?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brace of Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brace of Pistols   Brace of Pistols Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brace of Pistols
Page 1 of 1