Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Help for newcomer

Go down 
+2
cianty
donceka
6 posters
AuthorMessage
donceka
Youngblood
Youngblood
donceka

Trading Reputation : 0

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2008 - 6:35

Hello guys first of all let me introduce. I am warhammer fan like for 12+ years and playing battles and rpg over 10 years. My friends invited me to join the new champaingh in mordheim. I picked up a chaos dwarfs. But as far i am new in there i need to create my new warband Smile
Question number one is there any files around there whitch i can put in my army builder 2.x couse i see lot's of warbands there but not a chaos dwarfs ...

Second question maybe anyone has some tips for making brand new chaos dwarfs warband ? For long play ...
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2008 - 9:23

Hello and welcome, donceka!

I read your request for an army builder file on the yahoo group. I had a look at the programme and the construction of the warband files yesterday. Maybe I will get around to make one for the Black Dwarfs some time. Hower, since I am not too big a fan of ArmyBuilder and since it cannot replace the BTB warband roster anyways (because you can't properly keep track of the warband's earned campaign points), I am not sure if even enough people would be interested.

Anyway, back to the Chaos Dwarfs...

As a starter there are a few things you should be aware of (I'll be referring to the Chaos Dwarf warband list from Border Town Burning):

- Max out your possible Heroes. This is necessary to ensure a steady income during the course of the campaign. In your case this means that besides the obligatory warband leader (the Sorcerer) the first warriors you shouls hire are the Bull Centaur and two Gaolers.

- Unless your gaming group is using house rules the strongest and cheapest weapon armament will be mace + dagger for your warband. Each model already starts with a free dagger so this means +3 gc per model. For your Heroes you could consider swords instead of maces to ensure that they survive a little longer. The Steel Whip is a cool weapon - rules for that can be found in the rulebook (Sisters of Sigmar), but the rules have been officially errata'ed in the Mordheim Rules Review (separate PDF).

- For the Henchmen you have to decide on a strategy. Either you buy the more expensive Chaos Dwarfs so that you have a strong group of hand-to-hand combat models - or- you buy lots of Informers, who are cheap and can be equipped with slings, which are very good ranged weapons and commonly used by Skaven warbands. You could, of course, also make a mix of Chaos Dwarfs and Informers. Make that dependend on your available models and your personal preferences..

- Keep the Rout limits in mind. You have to make Rout tests as soon as 25% of your warband have been taken out of action. So with 5-8 warriors in your warband you'll have to test after two losses, 9-12 three losses, 13-16 four losses, etc. So when hiring your models you will want to try to make the total number rather 13 than 12. This might mean that you have to replace a Chaos Dwarf henchman with two Informers.

- Don't worry about the Engine of Chaos or buying man-catchers at the beginning of your campaign. I think you better get yourself comfortable with the campaign play, Hero advances and income and then try to achieve extras like hunting down slaves and sending them back to the Dark Lands..

I hope this was somewhat useful to you. Don't hsesitate to ask more questions if you have any. Very Happy

Good luck with the warband!
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
donceka
Youngblood
Youngblood
donceka

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2008 - 9:28

Tx a lot. I was thinking about starting warband with sorceress bull and 2 goalers. But i was kinda thinking about equiping them with pair of pistols.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2008 - 9:41

IMO pistols are not worth it (you can see a thread about some people complaining about pistols somewhere around here). Consider that one pistol = one informer. There is also a thread about potential abuse of blunderbusses (who are one shot per battle only) so maybe you like to read through that as well. I'd use the Informers with Slings for ranged combat and the dwarfs themselves for the dirty hand-to-hand work. This is the cheapest way and it will allow you to include the most models.

Oh, and I just realised that the maximum number of Chaos Dwarfs is 12 - so much for the "13 instead of 12" advice. Well, it was meant as a general statement anyways.
Back to top Go down
donceka
Youngblood
Youngblood
donceka

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2008 - 14:45

SO 4 heroes all with heavy armors and hammers Smile I like that.
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2008 - 16:42

You may want to check out this guy.

It may well be just what you need. Wink
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2008 - 17:36

donceka wrote:

Well, yeah, except for the armours. Neither heavy nor light armour are really worth it.
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeMon 1 Dec 2008 - 18:53

catferret wrote:

That is one sweet Chaos Dwarf! To bad my alignment dont swing that way.
Back to top Go down
donceka
Youngblood
Youngblood
donceka

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeTue 2 Dec 2008 - 6:02

catferret wrote:

Ya i know this beauty Smile
Back to top Go down
donceka
Youngblood
Youngblood
donceka

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeTue 2 Dec 2008 - 6:03

cianty wrote:
donceka wrote:

Well, yeah, except for the armours. Neither heavy nor light armour are really worth it.

U sure it is not worth ?

If not it is not worth at start or in all champain ?
And what is worth then ?
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeTue 2 Dec 2008 - 10:05

donceka wrote:
U sure it is not worth ?

If not it is not worth at start or in all champain ?
And what is worth then ?

Try to go for more models in the beginning. Later you can try to equip your heroes with heavy armour and shield (the 5+ alone simply won't do). If your gaming group uses the house rule that gives shields an additional +1 armour save in hand-to-hand combat then this is different. In general though I don't recommend expensive armour in the beginning. An heavy armour alone is never good as it is too easily negated. Considering how many warriors you could hire instead I really wouldn't buy them.
Back to top Go down
donceka
Youngblood
Youngblood
donceka

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeWed 3 Dec 2008 - 9:03

So after seeing all feeds i am thinking about:

Sorceress

Bullcentaur with Hammer + Sword

2x Gaolers with Hammer + Sword + Blunderbuss

Total 480
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeWed 3 Dec 2008 - 14:04

Buy the sorceress a weapon! And I don't rate swords, they're just not worth the GCs (in my opinion). So I'd drop the swords and get yo'self a henchman/men.
Back to top Go down
donceka
Youngblood
Youngblood
donceka

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeWed 3 Dec 2008 - 14:21

SO maybe exhange hammer + sword with a like 2 handed weapon ?

P.S. maybe i have missed smt but i fought it is better to start wit h lower troops or no ?
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeWed 3 Dec 2008 - 14:34

donceka wrote:
SO maybe exhange hammer + sword with a like 2 handed weapon ?

Beware of the 2-handed weapons! They are even more expensive, and strike last means that it's quite likely to get killed before you landed the first blow! (unless you habe the strongman skill, which you won't at the start).

So better exchange the sword with a 2nd hammer, that will save you 7 gc. Makes 21 on the 3 models you intend to equip with one, add the 20 gc you have left and voila, you can buy your sorceress a weapon (hammer), too, and even have enough GC left for another henchman or two (not sure how expensive they are).

And it is always better to have more models, as this will allow you to suffer more casualties before having to take a rout test and thus increases your chances to win.
Back to top Go down
donceka
Youngblood
Youngblood
donceka

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeThu 4 Dec 2008 - 12:15

Ok if my colculation is ok then it is like

Sorceres with hammer
Bullcentaur with Hammerx2
Gaoler hammer x2 + blunderbuss
Gaoler hammer x2 + blunderbuss

6 informers with slings

486 Points.

Any more sugestion how i can improve ?
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitimeThu 4 Dec 2008 - 13:06

Yeah, give your informers some clubs, too. Slings don't have such a long range, so it is likely they informers will get involved in HtH combat, too. And then you stand a better chance with some proper handweapons.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help for newcomer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help for newcomer   Help for newcomer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help for newcomer
Page 1 of 1