Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Photographing Miniatures

Go down 
+2
cianty
Rich
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rich
Captain
Captain
Rich

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: None

Photographing Miniatures Empty
PostSubject: Photographing Miniatures   Photographing Miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2007 - 21:33

Hi guys, hope you're all well!

Just a quick post really, asking your advice on photographing miniatures... I've been trying for the past few days to photograph some of my models for the forum, and have not got a good clear shot yet...

The miniatures in question are not yet painted... so the bare metal doesn't react well with the flash on my camera... so I then tried photographing some models with a matt-grey undercoat (less reflective) but still can't get a good detailed shot...

I've tried using 2 different cameras, adjusting all-sorts of settings on the cameras, I've tried different background colours/ textures, different lighting positions and intensities... I've tried photographing them from various angles, distances etc... but still the pics seem to come-out blurry, and not as finely detailed as many of the shots on the forum...

I'll post some shots later to give an idea of the quality of the shots I'm getting. For reference, I'm using my Nokia N95's 5-megapixel camera, and also a Fuji Finepix 2800-zoom. I've tried with flash, withou flash, and have adjusted the contract, light sensetivity, exposure compensation, white balance, colour tone & sharpness.

The shots I'm getting just seem really blurry and you can't see any of the detail of the miniatures.

Do any of you guys have any simple rules/pointers for the photography of miniatures, or know of any online resources with hints and tips?

I thank you all in advence for any help!

Rich
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Miniatures   Photographing Miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2007 - 21:44

Hey, Rich!

I'm definately no pro at this but I do have some experience. Here's what I know.

- I don't use flash. It makes the models too light.
- There is a button on my (girl-friend's) digi-cam which is meant for close-ups. It has a flower sign on it. Without pressing the button and thus being in "detail" mode the photos are crap.
- I never hold the camera in my hand when taking such photos. If I do there is a camera shake and the picture is blurry. Therefore I put the camera on the ground or on some other items of appropriate size so that I can press the button and then leave the camera while it takes the photo.

I hope this helps a little. I'm sure someone with more tips and ideas will post here soon.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Miniatures   Photographing Miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2007 - 22:25

cianty is right on the money.

The "flower" mode is called Macro most digi cameras have it somewhere, but where it is varies from camera to camera.

The other important thing is light. You need more of it. No more! More than that even.

Daylight is the best but is in short supply at this time of year. pirat
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Miniatures   Photographing Miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2007 - 22:44

This could help you:
http://www.twfigurines.de/main/workshop/photos.htm

A well written article about how to take pictures of minis.
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Miniatures   Photographing Miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2007 - 22:48

I have nothing to add as Cianty and WBK have brilliantly made the point, except maybe that in my experience "diffuse" light has proven itself to be better than "direct" lighting.

As WBK has correctly pointed out, daylight is best. Although I take most of my pics at night (that's when I paint) and with a desklamp.

Instead of shining the lamp directly onto the miniature, I like to point it towards a nearby bright surface (such as a white wall that's up to 30cm away, or a sheet of paper) and let the reflected light illuminate the miniature. That way you get a "diffuse" light.
Oh yeah... and please do really avoid flash (as Cianty said).
Back to top Go down
http://boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Miniatures   Photographing Miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2007 - 23:24

Erkwin wrote:
This could help you:
http://www.twfigurines.de/main/workshop/photos.htm

A well written article about how to take pictures of minis.

How come you always have the perfect link, Erkwin? Do you do anything else besides searching the net for tabletop info? tongue Sick, dude. And very cool.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Tortiou
Warlord
Warlord
Tortiou

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Miniatures   Photographing Miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2007 - 23:35

Well I'm just going to add what I add each time we talk about photography: DON'T WORRY IF THE PIC IS TOO DARK.

If you don't use flash or if the light is too dim, and your pic looks too dark, DON'T WORRY.

There is a small programme called Irfanview where you can change the colours and brightness of your photo afterwards! Just type Shift+G and there you can manipulate the slides:

Gamma Correction: try it on darker pictures, you'll see how it brightens up!

Saturation: the colours are enhanced. Usually I put the slide on 40 or 50, it makes the photo look more "joyful".

cyclops

Maybe Irfanview should start paying me as I'm always advertising for them... ^^
Back to top Go down
Rich
Captain
Captain
Rich

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Miniatures   Photographing Miniatures Icon_minitimeWed 5 Dec 2007 - 23:49

Thanks for all the help guys - I'll let you know how I get on, and hopefully there'll be a couple of new threads in the 'Gallery' section sometime in the next couple of days.

Rich
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Miniatures   Photographing Miniatures Icon_minitimeThu 6 Dec 2007 - 6:56

cianty wrote:

How come you always have the perfect link, Erkwin? Do you do anything else besides searching the net for tabletop info? tongue Sick, dude. And very cool.

Well, now and then I have to go to school Laughing Wink

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics, Rich Smile
Back to top Go down
Rich
Captain
Captain
Rich

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Miniatures   Photographing Miniatures Icon_minitimeTue 11 Dec 2007 - 17:53

Many thanks again for the help, guys... I've got some pics up in the 'Gallery' section - let me know what you think!!

Rich
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Photographing Miniatures   Photographing Miniatures Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Photographing Miniatures
Page 1 of 1